Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Secondhand Stuff

We all know having a baby can be very expensive, so any way we can save money is a great idea to me. I am all for buying things secondhand, but where and how? We bought some of the basics like our pack 'n play, stroller, high chair, swing, and bouncer brand new. However, I see amazing deals on Craigslist all the time for those things for a fraction of the retail price. A friend of mine researched and found exactly which products she wanted and searched craigslist every few days until those items became available. You've got about 9 months to shop before the baby actually arrives, in most cases.

Another great place to find deals is thrift stores. I bought Sara a slide for $12.50 at Goodwill and it's one of her favorite things. Thrift stores can really be hit or miss, but sometimes you get lucky. Also, talk to your neighbors and friends who have children. They may have items their kids have grown out of and need a new home. We got a crib (thanks Jenn) and changing table (thanks Heather) from some friends who weren't planning to have any more kids. They were generous enough to pass them along to us for free!

When we were living in Nebraska, I really wanted to get an exersaucer, but they were just too expensive. I'd tried looking at thrift stores and baby consignment shops, but we just couldn't afford one. As I was leaving my apartment complex one day, I noticed an exersaucer sitting next to the dumpster waiting to be taken out with the trash. Well, I snatched that baby up and took it home. A little Clorox and a good scrubbing and it was practically brand new. (One of those tender mercies for us)

What are your great finds? Where do you shop for secondhand items for your kids?

3 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people who find really good deals on baby/toddler stuff at garage sales. A lot of people don't like to donate that type of stuff to thrift stores, because of how much they paid for it when they bought it new. The downside to garage sales is that you have to know where and when they are going on, and that can be difficult to do, not to mention spending all the time driving from sale to sale to sale. Some neighborhoods have community sales, where the whole neighborhood has their garage sales at the same time. In AZ, I know The Islands neighborhood in Gilbert has their community sale at least once a year, maybe twice, but they always have really good stuff in that neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SALVATION ARMY IS MY FAVORITE THRIFT STORE, BUT I AGREE THAT GARAGE SALES ARE THE BEST BEST BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have 2 big consignment sales twice a year each here (Vegas) that I was able to get a TON of stuff for cheap - mainly clothes and toys. I just googled "Las Vegas Consignment Sales" and it pulled them up. Maybe try that. I have loved craigslist too...and have saved a TON of money buying used stuff off of there. If you are selective about what you buy you can get great stuff for dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete