Thursday, September 23, 2010

Called to Serve

As the Christmas season approaches, you may find yourself trying to concoct ways to keep yourself and your family focused on the true meaning of this special time of year.

Uuuuurrrrrrrr! Okay, someone put on the brakes. I can hear them screeching from wherever you are. You are probably thinking Christmas, really, she is doing a post about Christmas? Isn't it enough that the stores already have decorations out, but really a blog post about Christmas???

I know, I know it is only September; the first day of Fall, for Pete's sake (who is Pete, anyway?) BUT, some things require a little bit of planning, and I would like to get your wheels turning before it is too late.

SO...during December, we often turn our thoughts to Christ (as we should!); reflecting on His glorious birth, recommitting ourselves to live a more Christlike life, taking a moment to express overdue appreciation, smiling as we go along our way, loving those around us, serving those in need. It is a wonderful time of year in which we gather around our kitchen making special treats to take to friends and neighbors. A time we revel in the traditions passed down from long ago, traditions inherited from our spouses, and traditions we plant as seeds in our children.

What are your Christmas traditions? How do you keep Christ in Christmas? How do you serve in His name this time of year?

THIS YEAR, I finally get to start a tradition I have always longed to do. Our entire family will be working in a soup kitchen. I remember doing this once as a high school project my junior year, and more importantly, I remember the very distinct impression it left with me. I had a whole new respect and appreciation for food. I also began to feel ashamed when I threw food away or was wasteful because of poor meal planning or horrible laziness. This actually still haunts me today when I think about how my garbage disposal eats better than entire families. But perhaps what was most profound was the sacredness that was given to my mealtime prayers; it is not rushed, it is not repetitive, it is grateful, and it is thoughtful.

FYI: I recently learned you can call 211 on your phone (similar to 411 or 911, but not to be confused) and someone will answer the phone and tell you how to help in your community and actually put you in touch with people who will show you how!!! So cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment