Friday, September 10, 2010

Trick-or-Treat

I can't believe I'm already seeing Halloween candy and costumes in the stores more than a month away from the actual holiday. Halloween falls on Sunday this year, so we'll probably just be participating in our ward trunk-or-treat the night before. But how do you deal with Halloween when it falls on a Sunday? Sara is young enough, it doesn't really matter. I remember when the holiday fell on Sunday as a kid and being disappointed I couldn't go trick-or-treating in the neighborhood.

But no matter what day Halloween is on, a costume is still involved. I saw some absolutely adorable costumes as Pottery Barn kids, however, they were so expensive I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something my kid is going to wear for a couple of hours. How big of an investment should a Halloween costume be? I can make something for Sara in a few hours and be good to go. I feel like she is young enough, it really doesn't matter. I do know, however, as kids get older they become very opinionated about what their Halloween costumes should be. I remember my mom working very hard to make the perfect costumes for us when we were younger. I also remember seeing pictures of myself at a Halloween party wearing an indian outfit that was a leather bikini top and fringed skirt to match. I must have been only 3 or 4, but I used that picture in my defense as an argument to try and get my mom to let me wear a bikini when I was 15 or 16. It never worked.

My parents sent Sara a traditional Chilean dress and that is what she is going to wear for Halloween. The dress fits her perfectly and she already loves to wear it around the house, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get her to wear it to the trunk-or-treat. I never thought much about Halloween until now and apparently it's a pretty big deal to some people, so you tell me.... How do you deal with all that is: Halloween?

1 comment:

  1. well i am probably the only one who will think this way but I dont care. Dillon and I are on the same page when it comes to church stuff and we are not super sticklers about most things that I do not think are that big of a deal. Like trick or treating. I cant imagine telling my kids they cannot go just because its on a sunday. they are not spending any money and its a family activity. That is how I look at it. many people in our church will go on vacation and go do things like shop, eat out even if it falls on a sunday and i have no problem with that but there is no difference i see. many mormons are picky and choosy on what they do and do not do on sunday. I think trick or treating is just as ok as letting your kids veg out on the tv all day after church.
    They are only going to be kids for a short while and will only want to go trick or treating for a short while so let them be kids is how i see it. i would not want them to get made fun of at school cause all the kids know they could not go trick or treating. Anyhoo sorry if i offended any ones opinions. Good luck deciding and just do what is best for your family and what you feel is good for your kids.

    ReplyDelete