Sunday, January 30, 2011

Walkers

Per E:

Quick question for all the moms:

Did any of you ever use a "walker" for your babies?

There is a little debate in my immediate family as to whether we should buy a "walker" for Adah. The walker is one of those play station type things with wheels that the kid can maneuver around the house. Adah already has a stationary one and loves it. The debate is whether it will delay walking, as some research has shown that children who use the "walker" become dependent on it to walk rather than learning to walk independently. Adah is already pulling herself up to standing with some assistance and I do not want to delay what she seems to be moving toward naturally.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. i did not use one...had gotten one for my oldest but by the time it was given to me by my in-laws she was too big for it. we also had a small apt so there really was no room for her to walk around in it either. I have not heard from any friends that it delayed their kids walking ability. If you are concerned I would say just limit the time the baby is in it. I think its fun for them and would help strengthen their legs and keeps them busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never bought one for my kids and they all walked at 11 months. I would say that if she has something to sit up in already, and she is pulling her self up on the furniture, I wouldn't bother with putting her in a walker. Just let her figure out walking on her own. It sounds like she is well on her way, and she would not use a walker for long enough to justify its cost anyway.

    ReplyDelete