Friday, February 25, 2011

Can I have my $20 back, please?

So let me tell you a story...

About a month ago, Sara started to get the whole icky, goopy, runny nose thing. Then, her eyes started watering and she was coughing. I thought: teething, cold, allergies - all the usual suspects. But after a couple of weeks, it wasn't going away. There was one crazy Sunday she was running a fever of 104. I finally got it down with some Tylenol, but she obviously didn't feel good. Next day she was back to her normal goopy nose self.

I finally took her to the Dr. 2 weeks ago. He said it was probably a sinus infection and prescribed Amoxocillian. He also told me I could give her Dimnetap for the cough and Tylenol/Motrin for the fever. Holy Drug Overload. I paced myself and did what was absolutely necessary. She started feeling better within a couple of days. It was great! The antibiotics were over this past Sunday and we went to church as usual. Sunday night she goes to bed and wakes up 3 times during the night with diarrhea and a fever. We're starting this again? Seriously??

Monday - fever, Tuesday - fever and more diarrhea, Wednesday - fever, Thursday - fever, Friday - fever and woke up at 5:35am with diarrhea. By day 5 of having a fever, I thought for sure I needed to take her to the doc. Called and got an early appointment. Yes! I'm thinking bronchitus, pnemonia, more serious sinus infection, upper respiratory infection - something!

Just to make sure you understand, Sara has 3 doctors depending on what is wrong with her I go to different ones. For her immunizations, I take her to the Dr who does free well-child visits. For sickness, I take her to the Dr close to home who I can usually get in same day when he isn't traveling to India. And the 3rd Dr I take her to when she's sick and her other Dr is in India. Moving on...

Her sick Dr was booked up and her back-up Dr doesn't work on Fridays, so I called her immunization Dr who was also booked up, but there was another Dr in his office that could see us right away. Now I know why. Of course, he was so patient with Sara. He talked to her about what he was going to do, listened to her tell him about getting a slushy if she was a good girl and that she didn't want shots, but she wanted a sticker after he was all done. But he was really rude to me. Asked me a bunch of questions about why the other Dr put her on antibiotics for a sinus infection when according to him, "Toddlers don't get sinus infections." And asked me why I would think her fever could be associated with teething because, "They don't get a fever from teething." And asked me why I told him about the tubes in her ears and her susceptibility to getting ear infections when she clearly had no drainage in her ears. Okay, buddy, I get the point. I am the idiot and you're the Dr, but then why is she sick and what is wrong with her?

Wait for it.... wait... wait for it..... "Ma'am, she has a cold." Don't you Ma'am me Bucko and where can I get my $20 co-pay back??

6 comments:

  1. If the mucus is green, then it is a sinus infection. If it is clear or whitish/yellowish then it is a cold or allergies. Good rule of thumb to remember. I have never heard of a cold causing diarrhea before though. I hope she feels better soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it may be more of a hassle, but I would stick with only one doctor. That way the doctor will have her whole treatment history in her file at their office. And she will get consistent treatment when seeing only one doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that's crazy! And bogus...Bryar and Hayden both just finished a round of antibiotics for sinus infections and they are both toddlers. I would definitely want my $20 back...and I would actually probably ask for it because that guy sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some doctors simply don't have a clue. This Dr. reminds me of both of my young professional in-laws. One is a pediatrician and the other a general practitioner in family health. Neither has a child and pretty much what they go by is the "book" and therefore they really don't have a clue. But unfortunately kids NEVER go by the book.

    I also agree with Laurie. Having one primary doctor alleviates the stress of trying to "catch up" another doctor with the child's health history, and may prevent rudeness or impatience on the part of the physician when they only have a few minutes to figure out what's going on. Even then, there is never an excuse for being rude.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! I don't usually like Dr's. EVER. I never feel like they are really listening to me and they always give me this look like "You are just a sweet, overly worried, young mother" and "you don't really know anything" and then they shake my hand and walk out, making me feel like I just waisted their time and my money. But my favorite is when I call them to tell them after that my daughter is going on her 4th day of 104 fever, not breaking and they say, "well we really can't tell you anything unless you being her back in". Then they repeat the first look and make me feel stupid for bringing her back in. They like the money part though. Nice. I hope to find a ped I really like some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, that is annoying. I had a NP try to convince me Josie's fever was the result of an ear infection that had already been treated with antibiotics the week before. She wanted to prescribe more. When I seemed hesitant (because I knew she was wrong) she went on and on about how in other countries they don't use antibiotics and those children "end up fine" with this insulting tone like if-you-don't-give-her-drugs-you're-a-terrible-mother. Anyway, I left in tears refusing the prescription and called the Dr on the way home. She diagnosed correctly roseola over the phone.

    ReplyDelete