Monday, June 6, 2011

Movin' on Up!

Our house has been crazy the last few months. We have gone through some monumental transitions. Of course, they are probably bigger to me than to anyone else. I feel like these changes are just showing me how fast time has gone by and what a little girl Sara is becoming. Like any major change, I stress and worry about them for weeks ahead of time. And then usually the stress and the worry occupies more of my time than the actual transition itself. I just need to keep reminding myself that kids are resilient and do survive.

So here are the major transitions we faced and how we conquered each one:

1) Getting rid of the pacifier (or "pacit" as Sara calls it). I wanted to make sure Sara (and myself) were good and ready to get rid of it, so we talked about it for a few weeks. I was really strict with where/when she could have it - only in her crib at naps and bedtime and occasionally in the car on a long trip. I told her that new babies needed her 'pacits' to make them feel better and big girls don't need 'pacits'. I have a friend who recently had a baby named Brazia. I told Sara that Brazia needed them and when she was ready, we would give them to her. One morning she woke up and said, "Brazia need my pacits today?" And I said, "Yes, she does. Are you ready to give them to her?" Sara replied, "Uh, huh. I'm a big girl. I don't need pacits anymore." Phew!
Okay, so we started by cutting the tips so she could hang on to them for a day. It took a little longer than usual for her to take her nap, but she was so proud of herself. The next day, we put all her 'pacits' in a baggie and took them to Brazia's house where Brazia had a treat for her (that I had arranged previously). Sara was so excited and happy to give them to Brazia. She still talks about what a big girl she is and how nice it was for her to share her 'pacits' with Brazia. She has only asked for her pacifier once since we got rid of them and it was when she was sick. I'd say that transition was a major success and not something I needed to worry about as much as I did.

2) Potty Training. This girl is a potty training champ. Again, we started talking about potty training long before we actually did it. I wanted it to be something that was on her mind and thinking about. I tried potty training her a few weeks before we actually did, but she just wasn't ready. She kept asking to put a diaper on and was getting really upset. I decided I probably wasn't ready either, so we waited another couple of weeks. On a Monday morning when she woke up, I showed her baby doll how to go on the potty. Her doll got a sticker and a treat for doing it and Sara was so excited for her. Then I asked Sara if she wanted to go and she did. It was a huge success for Day 1. We watched Elmo's potty video and I put panties on her. I could tell she was trying to hold it and didn't to go for a while, but she eventually did.


I still put a diaper on her for nap and bedtime, but otherwise she did great. The next day was a little more difficult. She was holding it for hours and refused to go until I'd put her diaper on for her nap. The afternoon was better and she got the hang of it. By day 3 we headed to Target where she went on the potty and she's been going ever since. I felt like once we were able to leave the house and she could tell me she needed to go, we were good. She got a sticker for every time she went pee and 2 stickers for when she went poop. After 5 stickers, she got to pick a toy out of her bag (toys from the dollar spot at Target). She was so excited to count her stickers. From what I've heard, potty training can be a major disaster, so I feel really lucky that Sara adapted so well. And in 3 weeks, she's only had 1 accident and it was at the gym.

3) Big Girl Bed! Sara's big girl bed is arriving today and just like all the other transitions, I have worried and stressed about this one too. I get really anxious about anything that could potentially interfere with her sleep. Sara has never (knock on wood) tried to climb out of her crib before, so I'm hoping it won't be too big of a deal. We went this morning and picked out a new comforter, sheets, and pillow. She is excited to sleep in her big girl bed tonight. If you have any advice... I'd love to hear it! I'll let you know how this transition goes.

(This isn't Sara, but it reminds me of what it feels like putting my baby girl in such a BIG bed)

After this, I think we're done with transitions for a while. The next major thing will be going to see my parents when they come home from their mission. We will be staying with them for a few weeks and sleeping somewhere new is always a challenge. Then.... preschool!

1 comment:

  1. wow your binky trasnsition went so much smoother than mine did with Sydney..it took her a good week and then it got much better. London never took a binky so I never had to worry about that with her. London's potty training has its up's and down's uggg Not fun. I dont plan on taking her out of her crib till she tries to climb out or until she is 3. When sydney turned 2 she climbed to the top and when i walked in she was up there balancing. Scary!! So we turned it into a bed that day. Her naps were pretty much over as well already(sad) so i really only had to worry about bed time to make sure she did not get out. It went better than i thought. I remember the first couple of nights she got out a few times after we put her in and then i dont remember it being a problem. She has always been a scheduled baby cause i was very strict about her sleeping so when it was bed time she was ready and went to sleep fast! Good luck

    ReplyDelete