Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oh the things we live for...

Okay, so I was up most of the night last night thinking of ideas to improve the blog. I put a piece of paper and pen next to my bed last night and would scribble down random thoughts. One thing I want to change is my titles. Instead of boring Q1, Q2, Q3 and so on, I will come up ever so witty or creative titles that fit with the subject.

Also, I am putting together a list of 10 things moms can't live without for newborns, infants, and toddlers. If there was something that you just absolutely would not survive without, tell me about it! There are so many millions of baby products and it feels overwhelming to register or shop for things when you've never done this job before. When the lists are completed, I will add them to the side margin for easy viewing.

Another great thing about this blog is the search engine. I posted access on the side for you to be able to type in a subject and find just what you're looking for. If you want to know about sleep, just type it in and you will be directed to all the posts related to it. As the blog grows and keeps going, that will be a more useful tool. Anyway... on to the question of the day:

What cravings did you have and what does it mean?


Okay, so part of being a mom is being pregnant, right? So this question still applies. I bring it up because during my sleepless night I was reminded of something that happened to me during my pregnancy. We lived in Lincoln, Nebraska where my husband was finishing up his last year of grad school when I got pregnant. I have always been an avid soda drinker and that continued on through my pregnancy. I know there is speculation out there about caffeine and whatever, but I asked my doctor (midwife, actually) about it and she said it was fine as long as I wasn't drinking like 2 44oz soda's a day. "No, just 1", I clarified for her.

Dr. Pepper was my drink of choice while I was pregnant and when I wasn't drinking it, I was chewing on crushed ice from the gas station 2 miles up the road. I passed 2 other gas stations on the way to this one, but it had the best ice. Totally worth it! One particularly rough day I asked my husband to stop at this specific gas station and pick me up a Dr. Pepper on his way home from class. And as the loving husband he is, said yes. I was so anxious for this Dr. Pepper to arrive, I could taste it. Finally he got home and there was my delicious, mouth watering Dr. Pepper. As I sipped in the delectable goodness that only an ice cold fountain Dr. Pepper with crushed ice can offer, I noticed something different about it. "Diet? You got me diet?" I asked. My husband insisted he did not, but I knew it didn't taste right. I asked him again, "Are you sure you didn't get diet by mistake?" He said the fountain must have been broken or something but he PROMISED he did not get diet. Well, of course I couldn't drink Diet Dr. Pepper. That is not what I wanted, so I hopped in my car and drove to the nearest Sonic for Happy Hour.

That night, as C and I were saying our bedtime prayers, he said, "And please bless Karen to forgive me for getting her Diet Dr. Pepper today." I reached over and slugged him in the arm and said, "You do NOT mess with a pregnant woman and her cravings. Got it, Mister?" That was the end of it.

I don't know if my desire for Dr. Pepper meant anything about my pregnancy, but I do know that Diet Dr. Pepper does NOT taste the same. So just think twice before sending your husband out to pick up what you're craving most. You may end up with something totally unexpected.

4 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I think this is a great blog! how fun and helpful. I often feel overwhelmed not knowing what the heck to do with Paisley and certain stages we go through with her.
    I will think of my top 10 things I couldnt live without and maybe have to get back to you. I have a friend who actually posted one of those lists on her blog after she just had a baby... i will check it out and let you know what hers says.
    ps. i was DYING at the DIET Dr. Pepper story. How could C possibly do something so thoughtless??!!! haha. too funny. i miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that I can think of that really made a difference with my three babies was convenience of baby gowns. With the first baby I was given really cute pjs that had buttons and snaps. It wasn't until about 3am in the morning that those darling outfits took every ounce of patience and stamina to take on and off. By the third night I chucked the outfits for the baby gowns with on opening in the bottom. After that I had the night feedings down to a science and I was a happy mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that is funny cause i hate regular dr pepper but love diet. I never craved that pop while i was pregnant. I did love it in high school though but cut myself off. i am not a big pop drinker in general. I did crave cherry 7 up when I was pregnant with sydney for a good 3 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With Natalie I craved the stereotypical pickles - but not just ANY pickles - they had to be those big giant sour ones they have at the movie theater. I tried every store bought big pickles I could find (even from Sam's club) trying to find one that tasted the same. Never did...

    With Emily, I craved green olives - I would drink the olive juice too.

    With Stephen, I craved pepperoncini peppers - like the olives, I would drink the juice too.

    Hmmm, interesting how similar the cravings were with all my pregnancies...

    ReplyDelete