Friday, July 30, 2010

"Is Anyone Out There...

Building Mother's Self-Esteem?" is a book I started reading recently. It's written by mother of 8, Marilynne Todd Linford. I found it buried in a cabinet at my parents house last week. My father gave it to my mother as a gift for Christmas in 1986. He wrote on the inside cover, "To the best wife and mother in the world."

It shares a lot of examples and advice about maintaining your self-esteem as a woman through motherhood. She says, "This book will not tell you how to keep a cleaner house, how to be more organized, or anything else that may cause you to feel inadequate, overwhelmed, or frustrated. My purpose is to talk about how to combat mother abuse and the pressures of the world. We mother have spent years learning about how to build the self-esteem of our children. Now it is our turn."

I don't consider myself someone who necessarily struggles with self-esteem, but I know many women do. I'm not sure how I really ended up with the confidence I have, but I have it. Sometimes it can even be misunderstood as arrogance, but I feel it's more about being comfortable in my own skin and happy with who I am, as imperfect as I may be. I am striving to be better and continuously improve in all aspects of my life, but I understand that mistakes and weaknesses are part of the process and I am okay with that.

Mary mentions in the book, "If your self-esteem is low, this does not mean you have low intelligence, that you lack talent, or that you are not of great value to your family and society. It simply means you do not feel good enough about yourself. If you fall into this category, please doing something about it now because low self-esteem is contagious."

What do you to to build yourself up or those around you?

Stay tuned for more excerpts from this amazing book!

No comments:

Post a Comment