Sunday, August 1, 2010

How Much Is Too Much...

whining? I have 3 girls, and I hear a lot of whining. I have tried several different things to try and teach my girls not to whine. I still feel like I have not found the best way to teach my girls that whining is not an appropriate means of communication.

How do you teach your kids not to whine?

Here are a few things I have tried, and the amount of whining is much less. But, I'm desperate for a few more ideas.

1. I made a happy face that said, "I can ask with a smile on my face." I put this happy face on the refrigerator. Whenever, my daughter started whining, I referred her back to the happy face and then asked her to practice asking with a smile on her face. It's hard to whine while smiling.

2. I've tried giving warnings and then a timeout in the bedroom if the whining continues. This works well at home, but when we are in the car or at a store it's really hard to put your child in timeout when warnings are not obeyed.

3. We've had family meetings and discussions about whining. We did role playing activities. The girls enjoyed the pretend whining.

4. I've tried ignoring the whining until the voice changes. This is hard to do when I'm tired or frustrated.

5. I say to my daughters, "I need you to ask me again without whining." or "I need you to ask me again with a happier voice." This works well, but sometimes I have to repeat myself several times before the whining stops. Patience and an even tone voice is the key.

I think trying different and new things helps kids realize that you're not going to give up on something that you want them to learn. As I write this post, I realize that I need to try a few of these things I've done in the past again. Please share your best tricks; new ideas are always appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. When my kids whine, they have to sing for what they want. So, if my 4 year old whines and says, "I wannnnttt juuuuiiiicceee Mama," I say oh, well you'll have to sing for it. And, he realizes quickly that whining is not allowed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this post too. Sara has a terrible habit of whining especially when she is tired. A few moms here use the vinegar method. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm guessing you put a few drops of vinegar of your kids tongue when they are whining. Honestly, the punishment sounds a little harsh for whining, but maybe the alternatives just haven't worked. I'm open to suggestions, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always told my kids that I cannot hear them when they are whining, so if there is something they want, they have to ask for it in a non-whiny voice. It works every time, because I will not even respond to what they want until they stop whining. It especially works on my youngest. He sometimes has to leave the room and come back in to ask in a non-whiny voice, and he is usually laughing by the time it is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used a bunch of those already said in my kindergarten classroom and in time it seems to work. I think the "in time" part is key. Some kids quit really quick and others pushed the limits more. I think as long as you are CONSTANTLY CONSISTENT and whatever tactic you use, never allow the whining so they know you are serious about it then it will get less and less. (hopefully) :)

    ReplyDelete