Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Please and Thank You

I would like to preface this post by saying that this is what worked for me. It is not a documented theory that is fail proof, but it worked in our home. On teaching please and thank you, I started with both my boys as soon as they were babbling. When I handed them something, I would say "thank you Mama! Oh, you're welcome Lincoln. You're welcome Henry!" When they did anything praiseworthy, which was often, we would say, "thank you so much." David and I would make a big deal to say please and thank you, and respond with you're welcome. We did this, what seems like, a hundred times a day, but sure enough, as soon as our little boys started speaking, they would use their magic words like a charm. I have not had to use the "What do you say?" technique (which is not my favorite technique anyway.) If they forget in public, I use the same theory. "Thank you, Miss Mandy," I say for example, and my boys will repeat what I have said. There is no punishment when they forget; rather a gentle reminder of what is expected.

Tuesdays in Tucson,
Brandi

No comments:

Post a Comment