Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's in a Name?

I was just talking with my sister who is about to have her 3rd baby, but first boy. She is due in about 2 months and isn't sure what to name the little guy. We knew for a long time what we wanted to name Sara, but we didn't tell anyone. It was important for us to choose what we wanted rather than listening to other peoples opinions. But, it isn't that way with everyone. Some people choose a name long before the baby is born and refer to them by name.

Every evening for a couple of weeks, Cameron and I would go through the baby name book by letter and write down all the names we liked. We ended up with 17 names that had to be taken down to 3 or 4. We had 3 names in mind when we went to the hospital, but both of us like Sara the best. We're still hanging on to the other 2 names, just in case we have a girl next.

How did it work for you? How did you choose your baby's name? Will you use the same method next time around?

4 comments:

  1. we talked long before we had kids about what to name them. we agreed that our children should be named after people they could pattern their lives after. We wanted them to look to their names for added strength. Hence, Lincoln was named after Abraham Lincoln and my brother and Henry was named after Henry B. Eyring and my dad. We had a different name picked out for both, but when we came upon each of these names we knew they were supposed to have their names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Names are so SPECIAL!! I just LOVE picking them! We picked Paisley's name before she was born... Wes and I taught Primary when we first got married. There was the cutest little girl in front of us that would always turn around and stare at Wes... she told us her name was PAISLEY, and we instantly fell in love with it and said we would name our first girl that. So we did! We picked this second baby's name just randomly looking at names online! When we came across it we both just loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very strange but EVERY night when I was pregnant I had dreams about water. I was either swimming or on a boat even iceskating. Sometimes it was as simple as putting my feet in a lake. I also knew that my baby would be a Scorpio which is a water sign. I also have a thing for crystals and October's birthstone is an Opal which is consider a water stone. This is how I came up with the same SAYLOR :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen was not completely forthright here. Our name selection involved spinning in circles as fast as you can and darts.

    ReplyDelete