Monday, August 23, 2010

My Kid's Smarter Than Your Kid

Karen is on a little trip and her internet connection is not cooperating, so she asked me to post this for her...

Do you ever feel like parents are constantly quizzing their kids in public as if to show the world how smart their kid is?

I do! It's one thing to be teaching your child about colors and asking her at a restaurant what color her cup is or what color the vegetables are. But I've recently noticed parents asking their children all sorts of questions that seem to be for no reason other than to show how smart their kid is.

Granted, I think every parent probably thinks their kid is the smartest. I mean, seriously, Sara can already say over 100 words, count to 4, do all her animal sounds, and identify the colors yellow, pink, black, and blue, and she's not even 2. But that doesn't mean I'm going to quiz her every chance I get. Intellectual development, I think, is something that varies from child to child. You don't see 5 year olds going to school with pacifiers and you don't see 20 year olds learning their ABCs. They will learn the things they need to know and with a little guidance and direction, they can be prepared for Preschool or Kindergarten. But please, stop quizzing your kid just to show they are smarter than mine, because chances are...they're not!

5 comments:

  1. yes parents have to always show off their kids and its usually because their kids are ugly so they have to compensate for that hehe I am so mean I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes it isn't to show how smart their kids are, but rather to gain some value and worth as a parent based off the accomplishments of their children. I guess we all have to live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, Brandi. I think it's more about the parents trying to make themselves feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 100% guilty of this. Maybe it's my own insecurity concerning how good of parent I am. Any chance I get to show off how much sign language my 22 month old knows, or how many animal sounds she can make on cue. Mostly I just think it's adorable and I want to show the world...I figure everyone else will get as big a kick out of it as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that sometimes it is ok to brag about your kids. Some parents do it too much yes...but I don' think there is anything wrong with showing/telling others about how proud you are of what your child can now do. It shows that you love and are interested in your child's accomplishments. I like to hear the bragging from other parents :) I think it is fun to hear/see the new things little ones can do. But that is just me.

    ReplyDelete