Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Other Mothers

My four year old starts pre-school in two weeks. He is academically ready. He can count to 100. He is great at addition and subtraction, following directions, reading, creating stories, coloring, chains-of-events, comprehension, prediction, and all in all just one smart cookie. I have been very blessed as his mother to watch him grow.

Sometimes when I see older kids making poor decisions I get nervous, because it is really hard for me to imagine my kids growing up and doing down right naughty things; aside from stealing their brother's toy or something of the sort. Now, I am not a rose-colored-glasses mom, and I know that things will happen. But, the hardest thing is, I won't always be there. I won't be the only one responsible for teaching them the things they need to learn to be great citizens. I believe my role as Mother is to teach, love, nurture, and guide them, but I also realize others will play a part. I dread the part of this where others discipline my kids.

HOW DO I ALLOW OTHERS TO DO THIS WITHOUT BEING THE HELICOPTER MOM WHO HOVERS OVER EVERYTHING THEY DO? WHAT IF I DON'T LIKE THE DISCIPLINE TECHNIQUES OF THEIR TEACHERS?

Most people have told me I just have to deal with it.

Any ideas?

Tuesdays in Tucson
Anxious about Other Mothers,
Brandi

1 comment:

  1. To this day, I believe the best thing my parents ever taught me was to make good choices and that there are consequences to every choice: good and bad. From a very young age, my parents showed confidence in my ability to make good choices. They gave me options and allowed me to make the decision. I am sure there were times they knew I was making a wrong choice, but that by suffering the consequences I would learn for myself.

    I don't know exactly how this applies to a 4 year old, but I know it is what has made me who I am. Good luck! You are such a great mom, Brandi.

    ReplyDelete