Friday, September 17, 2010

What's Mine is Mine and What's Yours is Mine

I've learned that being a mom means not really ever having much to yourself anymore. For example, a bowl of ice cream or cereal is automatically expected to be shared with the child in the room. And unless that chocolate chip cookie is consumed after the child goes to bed, it's not really all yours either. A drink from the soda fountain? Wouldn't it be nice to go take a drink without moist cracker crumbs clinging to the straw?

After going to the temple the other night, Cameron and I stopped and got a little treat at Sonic on the way home. I got the Butterfinger sundae from the Value Menu and as soon as I walked through the door, Sara said, "Ya Ya's" (she calls herself Ya Ya) while pointed at the ice cream. Of course she wasn't interested in the Cherry Limeade CreamSlush Cameron got, only what was in Mom's hands. Maybe it's just what she is used to or maybe I share too much.

I do share suckers, on occasion, even though I know I was one of those people before I had kids who would look at moms that did that and think, "That is so gross!" But it's only to prevent the car seat or something worse getting covered in stickiness.

So the question is: Where do you draw the line? When is it okay to say something is yours and yours alone?

3 comments:

  1. it all depends if you want to deal with a tantrum or not! HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAFFEINATED SODA, THE FOOD YOU GET ON DATE NIGHT WHEN YOUR TODDLER ISN'T THERE AND YOUR HUSBAND DOESN'T LIKE WHAT YOU ARE EATING, MY WEIGHT WATCHER SNACKS. MOSTLY, I WOULD SAY NOT MUCH UNTIL THEY MOVE OUT OF THE HOUSE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan's 5 & still wants what I eat. I have to share what I have times 4 kids. So needless to say I go hungry a lot. But I think it's worth it to see my kids so happy.

    ReplyDelete