Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sacrifice

Dear Readers Who Still Read This Blog,

I have missed you. Here at the Johnson house, we were blessed with a 10lb, 15 oz baby boy on November 9th. We signed adoption papers and brought him home on November 12th. This last month has given me a lot to reflect upon, especially as it relates to sacrifice.
Probably not many of us have made the decision to place a baby for adoption, but I know that being a mother and father calls for daily sacrifice. We make sacrifices to stay home with our children, or to miss a work meeting so we can be at their activities.

At the Johnson house, I have learned a lot of lessons about sacrifice. Mostly, I have started understandinh the sacrifices that my parents made, in order to give us the best life they could. My dad worked two or three jobs and went to school in order to get an education and support our family. My mom never once in my entire life missed any activity I ever did. That's including the small awards ceremonies, and the 5 minute singing moments of my life. She went to school at nights and has since gotten degrees in higher education.

I have always wanted to be a mother, and getting children to our home has come as a bit of a trial, but we have been so richly blessed. We have been blessed twice by the sacrifices of two young women; both who said they were taking their mistakes and making them good. By them making a good choice we have been blessed with two of our three sons.

At this point I ask:

WHAT LESSONS HAVE YOU LEARNED FROM SACRIFICE DURING YOUR TIME AS A PARENT? What have you had to sacrifice? What has sacrificing taught you?

Finally,  I'd like to touch on the ultimate sacrifice; the gift that a loving God gave us through the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ. I believe in a Supreme Being; a Creator of the Universe, and a Heavenly Father who wants us to be happy. In order for us to enjoy the blessings of eternity, we had to have a perfect way that could only be provded through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Tuesdays in tucson
Humbled by the gift of sacrifice,

Brandi

2 comments:

  1. Brandi - thank you for sharing your family with us. I am so happy for you. You really are an amazing mom.

    I think being a mom has brought out my most selfish characteristics. I always felt selfish before, but being a mom reminds me just how selfish I am. In some ways, I feel like every day is a sacrifice, but I am learning to appreciate and love it even when it isn't perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thank you for sharing that beautiful event! I have always dreamed of adopting but don't know if it is right for our family. Kudos to you for having the courage!

    Second, The primary thing that I have sacrificed as a parent is my time. So much of my time is devoted to my daugher. And when I'm not with her I am spending time thinking about her. But it has taught me to think of someone besides my self. It is so easy to consume with yourself with self serving attitudes but in the end it is so much more rewarding to serve the ones you love.

    ReplyDelete