Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tribute to our parents

Many kids leave their homes and say, "I will never do "X" that my parents did." I know there were a few things I said that about. Research has shown that this is a healthy attitude as it relates to wanting to do things better. However, my life as a wife and a mother has given me greater insight and appreciation towards my own mom, who we call "Mookie," (and who I also call Wom)  my dad, who we call "Papa,", and to my mother and father-in-law, who incidentally raised a perfect son.

My husband attributes his desire to serve to his mom and dad. He said they always were willing to serve, and to this day, even though all their children are out of the house, their house is never empty. Those in financial predicaments or falling on hard times  find refuge in my in-laws home. I LOVE visiting my in-laws. They have a beautiful feeling in their home that invites happiness and peace.

I attribute my husbands happy countenance to the examples set by his parents. They are gentle and loving, and I know he got that from them.

I credit Mookie with my desire to be educated. She has worked hard to obtain numerous degrees, and she loves to learn. She loves to teach, and she is phenomenal. I also look to her as my example of unconditional love. Loving others has always been easy for me, and I know it's because of the Wom that I have gained this ability to love so easily.

I credit my dad with my love of writing. He is incredible at creative writing, and he has written many stories that --no biases included-- should be published. I also look to my Dad as my greatest source of faith. He loves God, and it shows in all he does.

WHAT TRIBUTE WOULD YOU MAKE TO YOUR PARENTS?

Merry Christmas
Tuesdays in Tucson,

brandi

2 comments:

  1. I would attribute my love of learning to my dad. He spent his whole life learning, and had the library to prove it, in addition to his numerous advanced degrees. I refuse to get rid of any of my books because they are a connection to my father. I would also say that my love of music comes from both of my parents. They both played piano and my mom drove me to lessons week after week after week. I got to explore so many musical things because of them and how music was so much a part of our home and our growing up experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An honest tribute to my parents could be a novel. But I will summarize the best I can.

    My parents are my greatest examples of love, service, patience, and loyalty. My parents are the type to love anyone and everyone. They see the best in people and have always seen more in me than I've seen in myself.

    I have so much confidence because of the trust my parents have in me. They taught me to make good choices and gave me the confidence I need to do so (most of the time).

    They are the most nonjudgmental, uncritical, and willing to serve people I know. My mom has been a great example to me of service and the value of being a good visiting teacher.

    My dad has done many amazing things in his life, but nothing is more important to him than his family and service in the Church.

    I see my mom as the perfect mother. Not that she is perfect, but she is perfect for me. She has always been so patient and understanding of me.

    I love my brother and sister, as well. I feel so lucky to have the family I do and am grateful they are forever. "No Empty Chairs"

    ReplyDelete