Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Education

When I was growing up, my parents emphasized the importance of getting an education. My parents both have degrees, and they worked hard to get those degrees; all of them.
I knew from a very young age that I would go to college. I wanted to be a pediatrician until I was about 14 and started looking at my goals more realistically. I knew that being a pediatrician would be more than I was willing to sacrifice in order to be a mom . I decided to become a middle school Language Arts teacher. I figured when my kids all went back to school, I could work too!
                                          (  David and I graduating on the same day!)
This topic of education has really been on my mind lately. During our time in Nebraska where my Darling David went to Law School, and I stayed home with the babies, I had many days where I felt like my conversations consisted of yes, no, night-night, and I love you. I felt a little jealous that my husband got to go and talk with educated people every day while my vocabulary dwindled in unbelief. I joined a book club where I met great friends and we had some pretty amazing conversations revolving around life and literature.

WHAT DO YOU TO STAY EDUCATED AND TO INSTILL EDUCATION IN YOUR CHILDREN?

In order for me to keep my teaching license valid as an inactive educator, I have to take 2 college classes every three years. I have done so since 2006, and I am currently enrolled in an online class! I love school. I love learning. I love teaching. And, I am glad that I have the opportunity to keep myself educated. I hope my kids will see how important education is.

Tuesdays in Tucson
Enjoying education,
Brandi

3 comments:

  1. I personally feel that reading is a key to fostering knowledge obtainment. The kind of reading I am talking about doesn't necessarily include reading Twilight or M is for Murder type novellas (although they do they their place at times).

    Subscribing to newspapers, local or national, magazines that discuss and explore a multitude of topics like The National Geographic, and of course books, generally non-fiction.

    Reading accomplishes two primary goals: 1. Children see parents reading on a consistent basis and typically follow suit (and are read to). 2. Reading a variety of materials with children helps them to explore and understand different cultures, geography, concepts, and assists them in generating new ideas or ways of seeing the world.

    Reading is a way to remain personally connect to the world, as well as sharpen critical thinking skills while encouraging your children to do the same.

    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. e,
    I love your comment here. I am definitely an avid reader, as is my husband. Our eldest loves to sit and read, but our two year old has NO interest whatsoever.
    any ideas on that?
    brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi,

    I wouldn't be too discouraged yet, your child is after all only two! But, your child may be more action oriented and may need books that require greater interaction rather than stationary reading. Activity type books could be just the thing to catch their interest OR unique kind of off the wall books that catch their attention (like the SkippyJon Jones book series about a Siamese kitten that thinks it's a chihuahua, extremely fun to read).

    Like I mentioned, exposure does wonders, so don't give up! My mother had a library of books for us when we were growing up, from history to fiction, to poetry and classic literature, to science fiction. While we each gravitated toward a specific genera, each of us developed a love of reading and a respect for books.

    e

    ReplyDelete