Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shopping with a Toddler

So anyone that knows me well, knows that I like to go shopping on a regular basis. Whether it's browsing the aisles at Target, looking for a bargain at TJ Maxx, shopping for shoes at Dillards, or sampling everything at Sephora... I like to shop. I don't always buy things, but it gives me a good excuse to get out of the house and something to do in the day. However, shopping with a toddler is opening my eyes to a whole new experience.

I needed to pick up some fabric a few weeks ago at JoAnn's and while the lady was cutting my fabric, Sara ripped opened a bag of candy (those disgusting pink powdery disk things) near the register. They were everywhere! I feel like I've talked about this before, so if I have... I'm sorry. Anyway, I cleaned up the mess, paid for the candy and went home. I didn't allow Sara to eat any of the candy and they are still sitting in my drawer.

Yesterday, I needed to take some shoes back to Dillards and Sara followed behind me saying, "Cute shoes, Momma" and "Sara size shoes?" to almost every pair. Needless to say, what would have been a 5 minute errand by myself turned in to a 45 minute one. Of course since we were at the mall, we had to go to the puppy store.

A couple of weeks ago, I was purchasing some lotion at Ulta. I could see Sara standing next to me and then she said, "Look Momma!". As I looked down, she was covered in red lipstick. Not the kind that just rubs off with a baby wipe, it totally stained her face. I wiped off what I could and had to use make-up remover when we got home.


I should say that all these adventures have made me go shopping less, but in fact, probably the opposite is true. It is a lot more work to drag a toddler around the aisles of TJ Maxx and trying on clothes in the dressing room is just a joke, but it certainly makes for a fun afternoon for at least 1 of us.

2 comments:

  1. hmm...maybe find something for her to hold from the store when you are there? or engage her in different touches. "this fabric is bumpy, this is soft...etc" or if all else fails, bribe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely know how you feel. Shopping with Paige is an adventure in itself. It does get better though. This age is a tuff one, especially when they don't get to do what they want.

    ReplyDelete