Monday, January 10, 2011

Skin Deep

I have pretty sensitive skin, but I noticed being a mom has really taken it's toll. I started to get acne really bad in my mid-twenties. I must admit, it says weird to say mid-twenties like it was a long time ago. I guess so, since I'm 30 now! My skin has really been on a roller coaster for the last 10 years.

I had really clear skin in High School and didn't start to experience breakouts until I went to college. I think a lot of it had to do with the humidity change and the stress of school. I found some medicine that helped get it under control and continued taking antibiotics (not recommended) for my skin for the next 6 years. I took a break for a while hoping to be able to stop taking the antibiotics all together only to experience the worst acne I ever had. I took pictures to track the progress of various treatments. I tried Proactiv, Murad, Neutrogena, Clearasil, and a few others with no success. I finally turned back to antibiotics.

When I got pregnant with Sara, the doctor said taking the medicine for my skin was okay, but I really didn't want to take it. My skin actually did pretty well during my pregnancy, must have been the regulation of my hormones. After Sara was born, my skin started to break out and I was determined to find something. My sister suggested a web-site acne.org. I started using a Benzoyl Peroxide based product on their web-site and it has been amazing! Aside from the occasional break-out, my skin has been remarkably clear.

People used to tell me that I looked at least 4 or 5 years younger than I actually was. Since I became a mother, I feel like my skin has made up for those 4 or 5 years. But I feel like taking care of my skin now is more important than ever! Here is an example of what I use during a typical day:

Morning: Wash with Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin face wash
Coat skin with Acne.org product
Moisturize face with Eucerin lotion with spf 15
Eye cream (usually just samples from Sephora)

Night: Wash with Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin face wash
Coat skin with Acne.org product
Moisturize with Oil of Olay Night Time Firming Cream
Eye Cream - more samples from Sephora

2 times a week I was my face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub with exfoliating seeds. I love the way it smells and makes my skin feel so smooth. I've recently tried the Oil of Olay Regenerating Serum, but I didn't like it. I have tried just about every product for your skin out there, so if you're wondering about something - let me know and I'll tell you what I thought of it.

Take time for your skin. It's yours forever!

3 comments:

  1. I have struggled with acne since I was 21. I finally broke down and bought the Clinique system. It has been my life saver. I know not everything works for everyone, but this product has been worth every penny to me.

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    When my kids had problems with acne & the $50 weekly tube of cream wasn't working, Sister Hall told to me put egg on their face. Literally. Beat an egg, cover entire face - let it dry - about 10 minutes, then rinse. Acne better within a week & gone in a month. They they just did maintenance a couple times a week. Much cheaper & better than the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! very cool blog.....and thanks about the Simple Answers to Simple Questions for First Time Moms!!!!

    ReplyDelete