Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Simplify

I took my sweet Jacob to his 2 month check up, and he weighed in at 14 lbs 8.5 oz. He is a wonderful big boy. While there, I asked his doctor if I should start rice cereal early because of how much formula he is trying to consume on one day. She is wonderful and explained it to me like this: We could sit and eat 6 bowls of tortilla chips but we wouldn't get any daily nutrition from doing that. Same with starting rice cereal early; it does not give the baby any nutrients when they are this young. It is unnecessary.

It really made me think what else in life is unnecessary. We often talk about all the things we need to do, all we need to accomplish in a day, our responsibilities that might overwhelm us, etc. But today I ask:

WHAT DO YOU TO SIMPLIFY AND TO TAKE OUT THE UNNECESSARY?
( isn't this a funny question because you have to do something in order to simplify???)

One simple thing we do at our house is not using a baby bathtub. Many find it necessary, but we found it to be more impractical for us, since the kitchen sink didn't require you to bend quite as much to wash the baby.

Another thing I do is let my husband know ahead of time all that was accomplished during the day by each of our kids and by me, so that he can be the proud Daddy and Husband. It takes away the unnecessary hurt feelings if things went unnoticed. It also allows our kids to know how much their busy Daddy cares.

Trying to simplify
Tuesdays in Tucson,
Brandi

2 comments:

  1. We used our baby bathtub only a couple of times. I feel the same way about a lot of things. Think of what our parents had or even our grandparents. I watched the documentary "Babies". It was so interesting. I think you'd really like it. Playing with a stick in Africa or a room full of toys in the US. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete