Tuesday, January 18, 2011

True Friends - No Gossip

I have been reminded lately of the importance of good friends. I feel so lucky to have made some really great friends since moving to Mesa. But, I have also seen the unfortunate side of the wrong kinds of friends. One of the things I have personally experienced is the danger of gossip. I am not perfect and have been guilty of gossiping more than my fair share. But this year, I really want to make developing good friendships a priority and by doing so, gossip must be eliminated.

I found an article with a few key principles to help eliminate gossip:

1) Think about how you would feel if someone were saying things about you
2) Change the subject when friends begin to gossip
3) Avoid any negative comments
4) Look for the good in others
5) Have courage
6) Pray for help

President David O. McKay says, "Let us avoid evil speaking; let us avoid slander and gossip. These are poisons to the soul to those who indulge. Evil speaking injures the reviler more than the reviled.”

How have you been blessed by great friends that have inspired you to make good changes in your life?

2 comments:

  1. When Jeff's parents went on a mission, they asked us to stay in their house; this upset quite a few people & almost all of his siblings & in-laws began talking about me behind my back. Even those telling me what others said were doing it. I was greatly hurt by this & ever since have not participated in gossip & therefore have made great friends & gained others trust because they know the kind of person I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post karen!!! I have never heard you gossip before and we have had a lot of talks!!!!

    ReplyDelete