Thursday, February 17, 2011

A REAL Vacation

What is your idea of a REAL vacation?


When you become a parent, vacations are never the same. Before we had Sara, Cam and I went on all kinds of trips. Since Sara was born, we've been on a few mini trips to California. We did go to Hawaii when she was about 5 months old, but it wasn't much of a vacation for me.

I have friends who have left their kids with parents, grandparents, siblings, and friends to go on trips. Cameron's parents live in Utah and mine live in Chile. But even if we did have family close by, I don't think I would be okay with leaving her. I could maybe go for a few days, but any more than 2 or 3 days seems like forever. Not to mention the fact that it took Sara 2 months to go to the gym and nursery without crying. The idea of leaving her with someone for days just feels impossible.

Cameron wanted to go on a cruise next year for 8 days. I LOVE cruises and they are such a great way to vacation, but I would be miserable. I could enjoy the first few days, but after that... no way. There is NO way I am leaving Sara for 8 days. Does this make me sound totally crazy?

If you are the type of person that can leave your kids and feel totally comfortable with it, by no means does it make you a bad or uninterested parent. I think it just means you have a healthy attachment to your child. I don't know what it is about it that scares me so much, but I just can't ever imagine myself being okay with it. I guess I better figure out how if I ever want to go on a REAL vacation again. I'm content to not have to worry about it for another 5 to 10 years though.

3 comments:

  1. If my mother lived close to us, I would definitely leave little A for a week of rest and relaxation. For me it boils down to trusting the person I will leave A with to care for her as thoroughly as I do myself. For now I content myself with personal time, when my husband comes home from work I quietly disappear for the rest of the night!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't do it either Karen. I have meltdowns when I have to leave them overnight. But, you know what, I think once a week date night is perfect for this time in our lives. Maybe when they are a little older and they can report back to us about how staying at so - and- so's house was, we will be a little better about leaving them. But for now, leave her for a few hours a week, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done 4 days and 6 days. With each of them, the last 2 days was torture! That said, Vacations are good for the soul and for the relationship between you too. I have been grateful for each of them. We have tried to do an adults only vacation every 18 months or so. 8 days may be too long, but maybe you could try a shorter one. I have only ever left the girls with my mother in law. Who LOVES to come out and stay with them.

    ReplyDelete