Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saucing

I'd like to take a poll. I watched a Dr. Phil (I don't normally watch Dr. Phil and don't usually support what he does, but this was a topic that interested me.) episode a few months ago about a mother who uses hot sauce as a form of discipline for her son. I know other moms who use hot sauce on the tongue for whining, talking back, or saying bad words. Just yesterday, there was a follow-up episode on the status of this woman and her son (1 of 6 kids). It has been determined that using hot sauce to discipline is not abusive and has even been recommended by some doctors and psychologists to treat behaviors like lying, sucking on a thumb, or saying bad words. Dr. Phil says, "This may not be an abusive treatment, but it's not good parenting."

What do you think?

Is "saucing" a healthy and reasonable form of discipline? Yes/No and Why?

4 comments:

  1. i have never tried it and dont know if i would but i dont see its any different than putting a bar of soap in the kids mouth which used to be very common back in the day and I am sure many still do today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a technique that many use on dogs to teach them the same lesson. Children are not dogs and have the capacity to understand or learn that actions have consequences, be they positive or negative.

    I say no.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. My initial thought is no. Fear is one motivating way to learn a lesson, and I think fear happens when a parent says, "if you... I will put sauce on your tongue..." but I don't think fear is the greatest teaching method for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched it and my issue with it is all the lecturing she did while he had to hold the hot sauce in his mouth. And the fact she kept a bottle in the BATHROOM!! The video actually made me cry for that boy. My husband's mom used dish soap for swearing and disrespectful words and it kept him in line. I could never do hot sauce to my kids.

    ReplyDelete